Driving At Night In Bad Weather
Keep more distance from the vehicle ahead as it will take longer to stop. Water can also affect the effectiveness of the brakes.
At night and in weather conditions such as rain or fog, you cannot see far ahead, even with your headlights on. Slow down if any of these conditions reduce your visibility.
Glare is intense, blinding light that makes it hard for the driver to see properly. It can be a major problem in summers when the sun is blazing down. Use sun shade or put on good quality sunglasses while driving.
Glare causes a problem while night driving also when you face bright headlights or see them reflected in your rear view mirror. While crossing oncoming vehicles at night, look up and beyond and slightly to the left of the oncoming lights.
Fog reduces visibility of the drivers, resulting in very difficult driving conditions. Avoid driving in fog, plan your trip so that you drive when the fog clears off.
Tips for Safe Driving in Fog
- Drive slow depending upon the conditions
- Switch on the full lighting system of your vehicle
- Use low-beam headlights as high-beams reflect off the moisture droplets in the fog, making it harder to see.
- Use the left edge of the road as a guide, rather than the centre line.
- Keep more distance. You will need extra distance to brake safely.
- Look as far ahead as possible.
- Keep your windows and mirrors clean. Use wipers and defroster for better visibility.
- Never stop or on the road, pull out and then stop.
- Do not overtake or change lanes.
If you hear the siren or see flashing lights of a police, fire, ambulance or an escort vehicle, get out of the way as soon as you can. Get to the left side and slow down till that vehicle passes you.
Drive slow when it is raining. Rain makes road surfaces slippery and the tires make lesser contact with the road. A thin layer of water is formed between the tires and the road causing a complete loss of control. This is called hydroplaning. Make sure you have good tires with deep tread.
Rain also reduces visibility. If the windshield wipers are not in good condition, drive when the rain stops. If the wiper blades do not clean the windshield properly, change them.
Be a part of our mission to make Indore city a Crime Free City. To become an eye for Indore Police click below: